St. Patrick's Mission Church

St. Patrick's Catholic Mission Church was one of five mission churches built by Father Louis Dumortier, a well-known frontier missionary. Operating out of St. Mary's Indian Mission, Father Dumortier's work on the Kansas frontier began in 1859 and continued until his death in July 1867.

Father Dumortier arrived at the Irish settlement known as Chapman's Creek in August, 1859. An earlier St. Mary's missionary, Father Ignatius Maes, discovered the settlement sometime before and organized sporadic services in the log cabins of John Erwin and Michael Hogan. Father Dumortier con- tinued these services. Indians attended the Masses and in 1859 an Indian baby named Magdelena was one of the settlement's first baptisms.

Soon after his arrival to Chapman's Creek, Father Dumortier made plans for a permanent church. He received stanch support for his project raising a sum of $700 which was considered a fortune in those days.
Mrs. Innocent Ryan, a widow, headed the contribution list giving $100 to the cause. Other subscribers were John Erwin, Michael Hogan, Patrick Deane, Thomas Howe, James Howe, Michael Howe, John Nash, John Lundigan, Michael Ryan, Con Ryan, Patrick Ryan, William Delaney, Michael Lenaham, Patrick Hartigan, Pat Sheeran, and Mike Kelly.

Read More




We Value our Past

1859
1861
1866
1880
1882
1883
1886
1888
1892
1906
1912
1925
1931
1961
1963

1966
1987
1990
1991
1994
1998
2000
2000

2004

2007

2008
2008

2008


2008

2010

2010
2010
2010
2011
2011

2011
2012

2013

St. Patrick Mission Church organized
St. Patrick Mission Church construction begins
St. Patrick Mission Church construction completed
St. Michael Mission church construction begins
St. Michael Mission church cornerstone laid
St. Michael Mission Church dedicated
St. Michael Church becomes a parish
Parish house constructed
Stained glass windows installed in church
Knights of Columbus charter membership
Bell tower added to church
Daughters of Isabella charter membership
St. Patrick church restored
St. Michael church renovation completed
Work completed at St. Patrick cemetery as a living memorial to
the early pioneers
Parish Center constructed
St. Patrick listed on National Register of Historic Places
Daughters of Isabella joined with St. Andrew's in Abilene
Parish House first floor renovation complete
Parish house second floor renovation completed
St. Michael church renovation completed
Parish Center renovation begins
Scanlan stained glass window restored and placed in Parish Center
Front facade of church renovated with Celtic Cross and brass history plaque
24 flag poles erected along driveway of St. Patrick's Cemetery
Parish Center renovation completed
Tornado damages church, house, parish center and cemetery and destroys St. Patrick's Chapel
Due to loss of schools, 4 modulars moved on church property used for kindergarten, first, second, and third grade classes 
Parish Center used for fourth grade, music, office, lunchroom, physical education and support services
Repair and replacement of Stained Glass Windows destroyed or damaged from tornado completed
St. Patrick's Chapel memorial completed
Remodel of parish house front porch completed
Remaining stained glass windows re-leaded
Chapman Grade School leaves parish center
Two modular units purchased from Chapman School District
Parish Center interior painted, carpeted and tiled
Painting of St. Michael by Jean Scanlan displayed in Parish Center
Updates to Parish Center Environment include: framed pictures depicting the Life of Christ; a wood-tone crucifix with a Leonardo Corpus made in Italy; framed historical map of St. Patrick's Cemetery; framed paintings of parish Christmas cards by Jean Scanlan.

 

  





St. Patrick's church St. Patrick memorial chapel
St. Patrick Church placed on National Register of Historic Places 1987
St. Patrick Memorial completed 2010
   
St Michael's between 1883 and 1900 St. Michael 2010
St. Michael's between 1883 & 1912
St. Michael's 2010

Pictures provided by Jan McCormick